Attention! This is a legacy build of the Mega Man RPG from 2017 and is no longer being maintained.
Reported bugs will not be fixed and any progress made here will not be saved.
Return to the archive index for more legacy content or
play the current version of the game for all the new stuff.
Hello everyone and thank you all so much for your patience and understanding over these last several months. It has been a long and difficult journey, but being able to post this update here today and show everyone what we've been working on makes it all worth the wait.
It has been a very long day and night and then day again putting the finishing touches and updating all the required database and files, so I'm going to get some much needed rest now. In the next several days I will be posted a series of articles describing the new features, but in the mean time please try and figure out things for yourself and help each other out in the comments of this update thread.
I will give a very brief outline of what's new below:
- New formatting options (like the new [code] and [robot] tags)
- Three different shops that allow you to buy and sell items, abilities, fields and stars
- All the Mega Man 3 fields are purchasable via the new shop, and doing so allows you to unlock the robot
- Website database has been completely redone to be easier to use and to show off more player recordsm with new field, mecha, and item databases being added with lots of helpful information (including music links!) and new flavour-text data in the form of robot bios by MegaBossMan (thank you!)
- A few sprites were updated by a new member to the team, Rhythm_BCA, namely Disco and Bass (and they look great!)
- All the field multipliers and mecha stats were created by Brorman which was a huge help (thank you!)
- Crystal Cave has been renamed to Photon Collider, will allow future field for Crystal Man to use word
- Bright Man's "Lightning Control" has been corrected to "Lighting Control" because it makes more sense
- Item drops in battle are now affected by not only where you're battling, but also which class of robot
- Landing a one-hit KO on a robot master or support mecha would double the odds of it dropping an item
- If you damage a robot master with a super effective attack, it may drop an elemental robot core
- Robot cores can either be sold to Reggae for a price that's based on your current starforce for that element OR used in battle to boost the field multiplier by 100%
- If a robot core is used in battle while a Copy Core is in the lead, it will change its core type for the rest of the battle and only be allowed to use moves compatible with the new type (only using an actual Copy Core item on the robot can you revert it mid-battle)
- Mega Man, Proto Man, and Bass will now automatically change colour while using elemental abilities - based on the ability's type(s) - and then revert to normal when it's done
- In addition to the MM3 fields, many old fields have been given new music like the Final Destination stages and the bonus stage, thanks once again to TheLegendOfRenegade for the awesome music
- The mission select music and the music that plays during the intro field battle will now be determined by which fields you have set to that player in the player editor (all MM3 fields = MM3 music, etc.)
- The Mecha Support ability has been revised and now acts as a sure-fire substitute attack, always going first and having a predictable pattern - mechas are summoned in order from gen 1 to gen 3 and back, and the mecha's level goes up each time it's summoned
- Starforce boosts now apply in Player Battles, adding a much needed layer of difficulty to these high-reward battles, and the amount of boost is displayed on the mission select screen
- Starforce boosts now also apply to story-related missions, where fields containing a fusion star will have boosted and more powerful enemies
Aaaaand that's all I can think of for now. I need to send a special shout-out to Sean Adamson and MMX100, as I did not have time to add their long-awaited sprite updates to this update. The same is true for any updated quotes or bios. They will come soon, but I needed to get out the main part of the update first before people started getting angry with me. >_>
Thank you all so much and I hope you enjoy! Let me/us know what you think and please go easy on me if there are bugs. :S
June 2014 Update : Mega Man Goes Shopping Posted by Adrian Marceau on June 14th, 2014 at 4:25am Viewed 6641 Times
Ok, got a weird sound bug. When I used Rain Flush to kill everyone due to high water boosters in Bonus Field 2, which made the victory music play when I beat the first opponent. Then the song reset when I beat the second opponent. It then continued into that similiar pattern. Weird.
@Adrian Marceau : Yeah, I noticed we can edit our own credits section, but really, I can't "thank myself", just rather let the whole thing be outdated than credit myself :P Maybe I'll just add my own little comment there.
Thanks a lot for the energy capsule by the way, I appreciate it. And of course I understand that you wanted the update out as fast as possible, sorry for being hasty.
Also, really liking the new formatting stuff, just if it was a bit easier to use, possibly some kind of menu for core type text and so on?
I still dislike the Player Battle system...I have one guy that seems to be taking advantage of my Starforce to boost his BP, and I can't even fight back against the guy because he doesn't show up among the choices of players I can fight. Also, why was the Player Battle system reduced to 1 on 1, 2 on 2, and 3 on 3 matches? I REALLY still wish I could opt out of this system, as it's getting really annoying to see people still take advantage of the hard work I put into this to their benefit.
Posted on June 15th, 2014 at 1:08pmEdited on 2014/06/15 at 1:12pm
Posted 2014/06/15 at 1:08pmEdited 2014/06/15 at 1:12pm
@TailsMK4 : Sorry, but I don't have a logical answer for that one. But wouldn't you want to see if your robots could withstand the greatest? And also, who's to say this user is only going against you? I'm sure he's also going against other users too.
Because 8 on 8 is really boring to me(and probably many others.) But it might be better for data and adds a more hectic level to the battle.
Sorry that you don't like it but I'm sure everyone gets a defeat screen. I myself like it.
1 on 1 isn't a good test and is really hard to defend against. Just pick the best robot to use against your opponent and you'll win every time. I guess I'll have to revise my robot abilities...but I really would prefer 8 on 8.
@TailsMK4 : I know this might be a controversial change, but I just updated the player battles with some new rules...
Firstly, I made it so 1-vs-1 would no longer happen unless you specifically left one robot on your team, and made them appear in 2-vs-2, 4-vs-4, and 8-vs-8 again. And the next change I made - and this is the big one - experience points and stat bonuses will NOT be awarded in player battles anymore. You still get double BP, but that's it. I know the change might seem harsh, but given that I'm looking to Pokémon for inspiration and they have never let you gain EXP from player battles I don't think it's that bad. From now on, player battles are for ratings only and if you want to get stronger you have to do so in the main-game like everyone else had to.
I didn't realize how easily the 9999 stats would spread once the first few people got them, and it's really gotten out of control, with people pretty much abusing the player battles for easy 99+ boosts after each match. I'm so sorry Tails, I didn't mean for this to happen and for your hard work to go to waste. Hopefully this change will allow people who truly work hard for their stats to keep them a little longer.
And for all the other reported bugs and inaccuracies... I'm working on. >_>
Posted on June 15th, 2014 at 6:48pmEdited on 2014/06/15 at 9:58pm
Posted 2014/06/15 at 6:48pmEdited 2014/06/15 at 9:58pm
I will admit that I used the 9999 stat robots from other players as well. This does slow down getting people to max stats quite a lot, though. Think the next update could include some boss fights that have at least 1000 stats?
EDIT: WHEW! 1024 Stars...the amount of effort needed to get a strong Starforce gets crazier with more games represented. I did some math, and when MM5 gets added to the game...there would be a total of 1600 Stars to get. Sure makes players keep coming back to the game, but man it's a lot of work. Now to get the MM3 Robots up to max stats, then after that get all mechas up to 100. Yes, I am trying to do as much of the game as I can.
EDIT2: UGH...there's a max stat increase of 50 now? At least I only have 8 RMs to level up, but I think this nerf wasn't necessary.
Posted on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:28pmEdited on 2014/07/02 at 9:33pm
Posted 2014/07/02 at 9:28pmEdited 2014/07/02 at 9:33pm
@Retro Pikachu : Yes, Rhythm_BCA altered Disco's height for me so it would look more proportionally accurate next to Mega Man and company. Roll was redone completely, also by Rhythm_BCA, and for the same reasons. The original sprite I used was from Mobile Roll, which was really cute (in my opinion) but horribly inaccurate. She was much taller than Mega Man (which is wrong) so Rhythm created a sprite sheet more in line with her more accurate MM1 appearance. Bass was tweaked in multiple ways, and just made better overall. :P